Mangoes are an essential part of Jamaican culture and cuisine, and with over 500 varieties available on the island, it can be overwhelming to choose which one to try. In this blog post, we will explore the top 10 most popular mango varieties in Jamaica, so you can indulge in the sweet taste of the tropics during your next visit.
As an expert on all things Jamaican, I can confidently say that one of the best things to do on weekends and holidays is to indulge in the country's most beloved fruit - mangoes! Here are the top 10 most popular varieties of mangoes in Jamaica:
1. Julie Mango
- Known as the "king of mangoes", Julie Mango is sweet, juicy, and oh so delicious.
- It's the perfect snack to enjoy on a hot summer day or to take to the beach with you.
2. Bombay Mango
- This mango is small, but packs a punch with its sweet and tangy flavor.
- It's often used in chutneys and sauces, and is a popular ingredient in Jamaican cuisine.
3. Haden Mango
- A bit larger than the Julie Mango, the Haden Mango is sweet with a slightly tart taste.
- It's perfect for making mango salsa or adding to a refreshing fruit salad.
4. East Indian Mango
- This mango is known for its bright orange flesh and sweet, juicy taste.
- It's often used in drinks and desserts, and is a favorite among locals.
5. Tommy Atkins Mango
- The Tommy Atkins Mango is a popular export from Jamaica, with a sweet and slightly tart flavor.
- It's great for slicing up and enjoying as a snack or adding to smoothies.
6. Kent Mango
- The Kent Mango is a large and juicy fruit with a sweet, tropical flavor.
- It's perfect for making mango sorbet or adding to a tropical fruit salad.
7. Number 11 Mango
- This mango is named after the street it was first grown on in Kingston.
- It has a sweet, juicy taste and is often used in Jamaican cuisine.
8. Stringy Mango
- As the name suggests, this mango has a bit more fiber than other varieties.
- But don't let that deter you - it's still incredibly sweet and delicious.
9. Black Mango
- The Black Mango is known for its dark skin and juicy, sweet flesh.
- It's a favorite among locals and is often used in drinks and desserts.
10. Sensation Mango
- This mango is a cross between the Haden and Brooks varieties, and has a sweet and slightly tangy flavor.
- It's great for slicing up and enjoying as a snack or adding to a fruit salad.
So there you have it - the top 10 most popular varieties of mangoes in Jamaica. Now go out and indulge in some sweet, juicy goodness!