Port Antonio is the capital of the parish of Portland on the northeastern coast of Jamaica, about 60 miles (100 km) from Kingston. It is the island's third largest port, and quite famous as a shipping point for bananas and coconuts, as well as one of its most important tourist attractions, tourism is a major contributor to the town’s economy.
Portland formally became a parish in 1723 by order of the Duke of Portland, after whom it is named. The existing port was to be called Port Antonio and was slated to become a naval stronghold. To that end, by 1729, the British began to build Fort George on the peninsula separating the twin East and West harbors known as the Titchfield promontory. The fort was intended to protect settlers from attacks by the Spanish from the sea, and from the Maroons (enslave runaways) who lived in the mountains.
Check out the latest thats happening in Jamaica! From events, restaurants, meetups, bars, and more.